Re: Clipboard periodically breaks

Reinier,

This was indeed fixed in the last version of XWin. Try updating.

However, copy/paste for large blocks of text seems to have broken.

Matt D.

On 10/21/2013 10:46 AM, Reinier Post wrote:
On Thu Sep 26 20:35:21 2013, matt@codespunk.com (Matt D.) wrote:
Jon,

Thanks for looking into this. I can confirm that your changes
correct the issue where highlighting next would cause arbitrary
pastes to occur. Good work!

I also concede that there does not seem to be a good solution to
transparently fix the two-to-one clipboard issue; as XWin may indeed
be able to interpret calls to X's two clipboards, there wouldn't be
any reasonable way for it to identify which clipboard is actually
being used.

I'm reading this wich much interest: for me, too, copy-pasting
between Windows applications and Cygwin xterms to break after some time,
and this has been happening for a year or so.

I'm not aware of doing anything special to cause it to break,
but the only way I know how to fix it is to restart X.
This is with recent Cygwin packages on Windows 7.

I haven't tested with a newer build of the X server.

However, an environment variable that tells it which clipboard to
use would provide an immediate solution and be used used on a
per-application basis. For example, I can use aliases when launching
programs:

$ xclip=clipboard1 gedit $@ (monitor only clipboard 1)
$ xclip=clipboard2 gedit $@ (monitor only clipboard 2)

No option would indicate that both clipboard 1 and clipboard 2 would
be handled as they are now.

I'm not familiar with X programming but I'm assuming here that it
would be possible for xclip to read from a particular process's own
environment (rather than xclip's own) while processing a clipboard
event to do this.

What do you think?

As an interested bystander, I have no doubt that that type of
specific solution to specific clipboard interaction problems can
possibly work, but using them will require detailed knowledge of how
the X and Windows clipboards interact.

My question is different: is it possible to implement the interaction
in such a way that a user such as me, who is not aware of any subtleties,
can get consistency, in the sense that all copy-paste actions between
X an Windows that work when X is started continue to work in the same way
for the duration of the session?

Matt D.