quick cygwin X question

Hi

If I install xorg-server and xinit and an X window appears when I do startxwin that I can use to launch to a terminal, should that be all I need to install besides all of the xfce/lxde packages?

For instance, I do $startxwin and the X window pops up. I then type in startlxde into the term and the autostart program appears in the same terminal. I had lynx browser selected as an autostart program for lxde. I don't know why lynx appears in the same window as the terminal.

I can't get to a desktop in either xfce and lxde.

I guess my question is just in general. I thought all I had to do is get x window working and then the lxde and xfce programs would take care of the rest. Maybe I am missing a requirement?

thanks