Re: X connections reset on PC sleep

On 12/02/2013 03:51, Ray Balogh wrote:
> Sorry, Iâm sure this is a known issue, but I canât seem to locate any
> description of the problem in the FAQ, docs, or mailing list archives.
>
> The problem is that when my PC sleeps, my X connections get reset with
>
>           xterm: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) or KillClient
> on X server âsomehost:0â
>
> although the Cygwin/X server (Ver. 1.13.1) is still running. Iâve enabled
> logging, but I donât see anything at all in the log file.
>
> Is there some configuration to stop Cygwin/X from doing this? Itâs extremely
> inconvenient to have to recreate all my windows if I happen to step away from
> the system for a while. Iâm running the X clients under a Ubuntu VM (VMware
> Player), in case that is significant.

I'm afraid that the X protocol doesn't have any way for a running client to
detach and reconnect to a server.  If one end of the connection goes to sleep,
the connection will be broken.

I don't think there's anything particularly cygwin-specific about this X
server behaviour.

It's not clear to me from what you write if the Ubuntu VM is on the same PC as
the cygwin X server.  If so, it might be that there is some kind of problem
with the order in which things are allowed to resume (e.g. the client program
resumes before the virtual networking path to the X server is available, or
something)

You might find using xpra or VNC to connect to an X server running on the VM,
an adequate workaround, as they allow you to disconnect and reconnect.

Alternatively you could arrange for sleeping to be suspended while the X
server is running (It seems on Win7 or later you can use powercfg
-requestsoverride to prevent sleep while a specified program is running, or
there are several simple utilities available which prevent suspend while they
are running)

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer