emacs, GSettings, and gtk3

I am now able to build emacs-X11 with GSettings support, using either gtk2 or gtk3; the problems discussed in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2012-04/msg00048.html have disappeared.

Unfortunately, the resulting build produces some annoying Gtk warnings. I'm trying to decide whether the benefits of GSettings and gtk3 outweigh the annoyances. I'd like the opinions of emacs users and GNOME experts on this. Here are the details:

1. If emacs is built using gtk3 and the window geometry is specified on the command line or in ~/.Xdefaults, the following warning appears in the terminal from which emacs was started:

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_parse_geometry() called on a window with no visible children; the window should be set up before gtk_window_parse_geometry() is called.

The warning can safely be ignored but is annoying. See

I don't know any good workaround, except perhaps to wrap emacs in a script, or use an alias, that redirects stderr to a file. (This would be similar to the Linux behavior, where I think stderr for programs started under X11 is typically redirected to ~/.xsession-errors.)

2. If emacs is built with GSettings support and is started without a D-Bus daemon running, the following warning is issued:

GLib-WARNING **: In call to g_spawn_sync(), exit status of a child process was requested but SIGCHLD action was set to SIG_IGN and ECHILD was received by waitpid(), so exit status can't be returned. This is a bug in the program calling g_spawn_sync(); either don't request the exit status, or don't set the SIGCHLD action.

The warning can usually, but not always, be ignored. See

In this case there is a simple workaround: Ensure, by a suitable line in ~/.startxwinrc or ~/.bashrc, that a D-Bus daemon is always running before emacs is started.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice on how I should deal with these issues in the next emacs release. The simplest solution would be to continue to use gtk2 and to disable GSettings support, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Ken Brown
Cygwin's Emacs maintainer