startx - no keyboard or mouse focus with single xterm, repeatable error - WORKAROUND

I've found a better workaround for this problem which works without
needing to calculate the correct placement of a remedial xterm.

Install the xsetroot package and run the following once the X server
has started up:

# Traditional X11 X-shaped cursor
xsetroot -cursor_name X_cursor

or

# Normal left-pointing arrow cursor
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr

Setting the cursor in this way fixes both the keyboard focus and
missing pointer problems.

Also - can anyone tell me how to respond correctly to messages in a
digest or from the mailing list archive? I've just pasted in the
subject heading for this email and Scott's original email below (minus
the email addresses), but I'm guessing this email won't show up in the
right thread location in the overal email structure of the archive.

Regards,

Patrick