Re: Cannot launch ssh from X11 system tray icon

On 29 March 2012 12:39, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 23/03/2012 17:56, Craig wrote:
>
>> debug1: Sending command: xterm
>> ? ? ? 0 [main] ssh 2184 select_stuff::wait: WaitForMultipleObjects failed
>> debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
>> select: Permission denied
>

>> So can anyone tell me why I get the select / waitForMultipleObjects error?
>
> This error is coming from inside the select() emulation in the cygwin DLL itself.
>
> I've no idea why this is failing, and apparently only when an ancestor is the
> X server. ?You might want to ask about this on the main cygwin list, it might
> get the attention of someone with more insight.
>
> One thing to consider trying is that it might be something to do with the
> environment inherited by processes started directly from the start menu,
> rather than something specific to the X server, i.e. try starting your test
> script directly from a start menu shortcut in a similar way to the X server is
> started...
>
> --
> Jon TURNEY
> Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

Hi Jon,

Thanks for getting back to me.
So I can run this from the run box:

C:\cygwin\bin\run bash -c "export DISPLAY=:0.0 ; /bin/ssh vulpix xterm"

And I get an xterm.

I have my XWin Server pinned to my start bar and so I made a shortcut
with the above in it and pinned it to my start bar and the thing runs
fine.
Both use "run".

I'm thinking it's to do with Windows permissions.

Does The XWin Server do a process group change or something?

Craig