xterm does't handle LINES and COLS correctly anymore

Since one of the last updates this year, the output
in an xterm is sometimes wrapped after a few columns.
They same applies to the number of lines.

Sometimes it works, i.e. xterm wraps the line when
the content really doesn't fit into the line anymore,
but sometimes the lines are wrapped after 4 or 30
characters.

The effect sometimes appears locally (i.e. in xcygwin),
but happens more often when logging into a remote
server via SSH. In such a case, the terminal is unusable.

I noticed that LINES and COLS is not set on the cygwin
side, and remotely (2 SLES servers) I get something like
this:
  $ echo LINES:$LINES COLS:$COLS
  LINES:2 COLS:

Setting the LINES before and/or after ssh'ing into
the server sometimes helps, but not very often.

Any ideas?

Thank you & have a nice day,
Berny

P.S. It's Win7, and I start openbox from ~/.xinitrc
via the .bat lines
  chdir /d d:\cygwin\bin
  .\run bash -l -c /bin/startx