Re: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.

On 2/27/2012 3:35 PM, George Barrick wrote:
The message that I get is:

gbarrick@TS207 ~/jpegs/figs
$ octave
/usr/bin/octave-3.6.1.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

now you triggered all my attention as octave package maintainer

try this

$ cd /bin
$ strace -o /tmp/octave.strace octave-3.6.1.exe --version

it should open a system message window mentioning what is missing

regards
Marco

Subj: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.

Hi Marco,

      I ran strace on the octave-3.6.1.exe and
got an empty message file.

of course, octave process never started :-)

However, that strace
terminated with a WinXP error alert box that
said:

octav-3.6.1.exe - Unable to locate component
[
[ This application has failed to start because
[ D:\Program Files\AlwilSoftware\Avast\snxhk.dll
[ was not found.  Re-installing the application
[ may fix this problem.
[

I guess that something is seriously screwed-up if
my octave is trying to access a .dll from my
antivirus program.  I did install a program
upgrade from Avast on Friday.  It seems to be
a bit more intrusive than the previous versions.
However, my upgrade to octave-3.6.1 did not occur
until this morning.

George gbarrick_at_walsh_dot_edu

Hi George, probably octave is just the victim of Avast I suspect the your antivirus is screwing up cygwin in general. Probably it tries to inject a dll in the dll chain

does "D:\Program Files\AlwilSoftware\Avast\snxhk.dll" exist ?

Regards
Marco