Re: XWin.exe: _XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed

On 15/02/2012 16:39, Bonggren, Jeffrey L wrote:
> I have recently noticed that XWin.exe is spinning and maxing out a CPU
> core.  I checked the log and saw that it is spamming it with
> "_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed" messages at a rate of about
> one per millisecond.  This is generating a very large log file!

Thanks for reporting this.

This  seems to be related in some way to how you start the X server.  Starting
it using startxwin.exe (the recommended method), I don't observe this problem,
but using your startxwin.bat, I can reproduce the problem.

The obvious difference here between these two cases is that we don't have a
cygwin process as our immediate ancestor when started from a batch file, but
how that could make a difference is a bit mysterious.

This seems to be some sort of regression introduced with the cygwin 1.7.10
DLL, downgrading to 1.7.9 doesn't show the problem (although that is
problematic as base-files now depends on tzset introduced in 1.7.10)

> X seems to be behaving normally in spite of this.  I typically run only
> xterm and nedit (many instances) locally.
>
> I have verified that the Windows firewall has a blanket allow rule for
> XWin.exe.
>
> I can't place the exact update that caused this problem, but I believe it
> was not having this issue in December 2011.  I am never more than a week
> behind on updating cygwin.  I tried falling back to the previous 1.11.4-2
> version of xorg-server, but it failed to start.  Perhaps a version conflict
> with some of the other updated packages?

As the announce mail says, you need to upgrade xorg-server and libGL1 at the
same time.  If you downgrade xorg-server, you need to also downgrade libGL1.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer