Re: AW: Levovo trackpoint come delayed (reproducable with xev)

On 23/01/2012 21:56, Paul Maier wrote:
>> On 22/01/2012 23:10, Paul Maier wrote:
>>> Lenovo trackpoint scrolling events get buffered somewhere until I release the button:
>>> then I get hundreds of scrolling events all at once.
>>>
>>> I can clearly see these events in xev.
>>>
>>> Result is that I don't really experience scrolling, rather jumping up and down
>>> with a random-like distance.
>>>
>>> With trackpoint I mean that red button in the middle of a Lenovo laptop.
>>>
>>> (Mouse wheel scrolling works perfect, in contrast.)
>>
>> Have you tried the workaround given in [1] ?
>>
>> According to the internet, the trackpoint driver tries to be too clever and
>> doesn't send WM_MOUSEWHEEL messages, but tries to fiddle with the Windows
>> scrollbars directly itself, which obviously isn't going to work well for an X
>> window :S
>>
>> [1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-trackpoint
>
> I can't find any of the files tp4*.dat on my PC (I'm running Windows 7) - see console output below.

It seems that FAQ might need a little updating, that file might found under
%PROGRAMFILES% now, C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\TP4table.dat or
C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Trackpoint\tp4table.dat for example.

> And I do get the trackpoint events, they are just delayed until I release that button;
> on release I get hundreds of correct events scrolling my window to somewhere.
> How many events I get depends on how long or how intense I pressed the track point (sounds reasonable to me).

So, if you can't try the workaround, perhaps you could do a bit of investigation?

Download the latest snapshot built with debugging enabled from [1]
Run it using 'WIN_DEBUG_MESSAGES=1 ./XWin -logverbose 3 <your usual XWin
options, -multiwindow for example>'
Open up an xterm
You should then be able to see WM_MOUSEWHEEL messages being delivered in the
debug output from XWin when you use the trackpoint scrolling.  Are they being
delivered on time, or only when you release the the button?