Re: segfault Xserver...current version (1.10, not 1.8)

On 09/08/2011 00:39, Linda Walsh wrote:
Regarding a stack traceback -- I dont' see where the Xserver has produced
a corefile to run gdb on (???). Does it produce one?

No.
---
Oh. I try to config most of my apps to generate core dumps so I can
get tracebacks of the actual problem that occurred in the actual binary that it
occurred in.

The instructions below don't say anything about getting a stack backtrace
for the binary I'm running. They talk about downloading a different binary that
may not reproduce the problem. In which case, I don't know if the problem is
solved,
or something just didn't step on something, randomly in memory due to some
flailing pointer.

Anytime you substitute a binary, getting a stacktrace or trying to produce a
problem
becomes an iffy proposition, because you aren't using the same program.

I am fully aware of these issues.

Unfortunately, the cygwin packaging tools don't currently allow me to detach, preserve and distribute the debug symbols, so a backtrace on the distributed binary is of little use as (i) it isn't annotated with symbols and (ii) I don't have the debug symbols, so I can't retrace the backtrace to annotate it with symbols.

That said, I suppose I don't care that much, other than to get the problem
fixed at some point...so when I get time, I'll move forward with trying the
instructions
below...
Which, BTW, I had already read before I asked about the coredumps for the
current binary --
(I'd like to know how to enable coredumps for the current binary! not a
different one, but
that may not be possible -- you might think about being able enable it in the
future based
on some ENV setting...just a thought)...

You can use the cygwin dumper tool [1] to produce a core dump, but this is not very useful on the stripped binary, for the reasons given above.

[1] http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#dumper

As I said once already:
---
Yes you did, but that wasn't my question -- all I asked was about core dumps
for the current
binary. I didn't say I wouldn't do the below -- nor did I say the below told
me to use
the core dumps from my current binary... It was a related question, but not
about how to do
the 'below'...sorry if that was confusing...

Following the instructions at [2] to obtain an Xserver backtrace would also
be of great help.

[2] http://x.cygwin.com/devel/backtrace.html

-- Jon TURNEY Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer