Re: SIGSEGV in xorg-1.8.2.0 during -resize operation

On 9/23/2010 11:56 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 23/09/2010 15:54, Eliot Moss wrote:

These are GMA (Graphics Media Accelerator) drivers
for Windows 7 / Vista x64 for the Intel 4 Series Express
chipset. The releases are numbers 8.15.10.nnnn, where
nnnn is what I will use to distinguish each one.

2202 (most recent) fails
2189 (latest send around by Windows Update) fails
2182 I have not yet tested
2104 works!
2021 probably also works (did before), but not explicitly tested

I've uploaded a new test build at [1]

Hopefully this handles this error condition a bit more gracefully. Perhaps you could try it out?

[1] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20100923-git-2172af4d1ea713f1.exe.bz2

Thank you, yes, that no longer causes a SIGSEGV. Thanks!

There is a remaining issue -- which was there before but
which I had not posted about.  If I Suspend/Resume, then
on resumption the driver disables the Aero theme and
points its finger at XWin.exe as the culprit, saying
it did something incompatible with Aero.  You probably
know about this stuff, but here's the overall blurb
anyway:
Why are some visual elements being automatically turned off?

If you receive a message that some visual elements, such as window frame transparency, have been turned off, or if you receive a message that the theme has been changed to Basic theme, one of the following might have happened:

A program that you're running is incompatible with Aero themes. When this happens, some visual elements are automatically turned off. When the program is no longer running, the visual elements that were turned off are turned on again automatically.

Your laptop might be running low on battery power. Windows might turn off Aero themes or window transparency to save battery power.

Your computer's hardware configuration or screen resolution was changed. If you changed your screen resolution, video card, or monitor setup, your computer might no longer meet the minimum recommendations for running Aero themes.

Your computer does not have enough memory to run all of the programs that you have open and also run an Aero theme. If Windows automatically changed your theme to Basic theme, and you want to change it back to an Aero theme, close some windows to free up memory, and then follow the steps below.

To run the Aero troubleshooter
To try to get visual elements like transparency running again, use the Aero troubleshooter, which can find and fix problems automatically.

Click to open the Aero troubleshooter.â If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

 To use an Aero theme
If the troubleshooter doesn't fix the problem, try changing the theme back to an Aero theme.

Click to open Personalization.

Under Aero Themes, click a theme to apply it to your desktop.
As soon as I exit XWin, Aero reasserts and remains if I restart
XWin.  This is a minor annoyance compared to SIGSEGV.  Recently
it has happened on *every* Resume; in the past it seemed to me
that it happened only *sometimes*, with a pattern I did not
figure out.

So this is perhaps of lower priority, but would be nice if it
were fixed at some point.

Thanks again for your quick response!

Regards -- Eliot Moss