Comment on Todo List

Good morning,
I'm a cygwin/x user and I installed it on a Windows Server 2003 R2 Terminal
Server, so that several users can start X sessions from their machines. Of
course as soon as I started using cygwin/x the problem occured: how to
automatically assign the first free display? And so after some googling I read
the Todo List topic "Automatically assign display number", dated 2004. I
understood this functionality is not available yet and maybe it's not under
analysis. But it would really be a very useful functionality, for the scenario
I'm coping with.

In the meanwhile, I implemented a workaround (not so elegant, I know): I
created a batch script doing the following:

- access to c:\cygwin\tmp\.x11-unix
- execute the loop FOR k = 0 TO 100 with step 1
- for each k, if the file Xk exists in the directory the loop continues,
otherwise we have found the first free display and the loop breaks
- execute the command:
c:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "/usr/bin/XWin.exe :k"

If you like you can publish this workaround and, if interested, I can send the
batch or write the exact content (I switched off my virtual machine, so I don't
have it right now).

Great work with the project.

Bye,

Mauro.