Re: Unable to start XWin with --nolock

On 26/08/2010 18:18, Richard Gitschlag wrote:
I am having trouble starting XWin on my system.

It complains about being unable to "read lock" the file -- okay, so it resides on a FAT32 drive, no big. Just add --nolock to my command line and move on.

But it doesn't work. But it does. But doesn't.

I AM able to run XWin from inside cygwin's bash prompt:

$ xinit -- -nolock -multiwindow
$ startxwin -- -nolock

But I can NOT run Xwin from a Windows command prompt or a Start Menu shortcut:

/cygwin/bin/run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/xinit -- -nolock -multiwindow

/cygwin/bin/run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin -- -nolock

In these cases I am given the read-lock error, and:

"XWin was started with the following command line: X :0"

In other words, I am unable to pass my command-line options to XWin, so I cannot work around the error.

Did I overlook something? What do I do next?

You need to quote the command after -c to prevent bash assuming those options are meant for itself.

This has been answered a few times before, e.g. at [1]

I'm not sure if you arrived at using -nolock from reading FAQ 3.4 [2], perhaps I need to improve that FAQ to give more guidance.

[1] http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-xfree/2010-04/msg00026.html
[2] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-cant-read-lock-file

--
Jon TURNEY