Re: CygwinX at MS Terminalserver?

On 13/08/2010 08:13, Steffen Sledz wrote:
Am 12.08.2010 18:04, schrieb Jon TURNEY:
On 12/08/2010 08:31, Steffen Sledz wrote:
Does anyone has experiences running CygwinX at an MS
Terminalserver? We like to use it at one based on Windows
Server 2003 with NTFS.

Is it possible to run multiple XWin instances for multiple
user sessions in parallel?

Any suggestions how to setup the rights in /tmp, /var/log,
/var/run, etc.?

You shouldn't change the rights on any of these, as this could affect the security or functioning of other cygwin apps.

Fortunately, you shouldn't need to, as, provided each X server
instance has a unique display number, everything should work :-)

This seems not to be right. :(

Here are the results of my tests:

[snip]

Now testuser0002 tries to start another server in parallel. This gives this error:

/usr/bin/startxwin: Resource temporarily unavailable (errno 11): Another X server instance is running on DISPLAY :0

This is expected. As I said, each X server instance must have a unique display number.

This can't possibly work any other way. If two users both have an X server with display number 0, to which server should a client started with DISPLAY=:0.0 connect?

Now testuser0001 stops his server by using the "Exit" item from the server menu. After this the files/dirs look like this.
[snip]
/var/log:
total 2316
drwxrwxrwt+ 1 Administrator Administrators       0 Aug 13 08:54 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 Administrator Administrators       0 May 17 16:21 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 Administrator Administrators  139786 Aug 13 08:48 setup.log
-rw-r--r--  1 Administrator Administrators 2219958 Aug 13 08:48 setup.log.full
-rw-r--r--  1 testuser0001  Domain Users      4871 Aug 13 08:58 XWin.0.log
------------>snap<----------------

Now testuser0002 tries to start a server. This results in an error popup:

------------>snip<----------------
A fatal error has occured and Cygwin/X will now exit.

Cannot open log file "/var/log/XWin.0.log"

This is interesting. On my systems, /var/log has mode 777, rather than 1777.

Having the restricted deletion flag set on /var/log prevents other users from deleting the logfile from a previous run.

However, checking the source for setup.exe, I see that it does create /var/log with 1777 permissions, so how I got into this state I don't know...

I'm not sure that is right, but assuming it is intentional, I guess we need to create a /var/log/xwin with mode 777 and arrange for that to be the default logfile location

mkdir /var/log/xwin
chmod 777 /var/log/xwin
adding '-logfile /var/log/xwin/XWin.%s.log' to your xwin command line.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer