Re: X hardware acceleration still flaky?

On 09/08/2010 15:08, L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk wrote:
Hi Jon,

the lack of flickering and lack of double-buffering you describe sounds like geomview being run without opengl, either  because it has been compiled without opengl (still the default if you just type ./configure, I believe), or because
geomview -noopengl
was issued. Did you build Geomview with --with-opengl, and have you turned on a texturemapped Earth showing coloured continents? (If geomview issues a 'Shared memory unavailable, using fallback display method' to stderr at launch, it's not using OpenGL.)

Yes, I have configured geomview with --with-opengl.

No, I didn't turn on texturemapped earth, because your report didn't mention that. Does this mean turn on "Texture mapping" in Savi's rendering menu (which appears to be on by default) or "Use simple/detailed earth map"?

If I run geomview -noppengl I get no flickering even when rotating the planet.

When geomview is run with opengl, I see consistent flickering at every single animation stage, not just when dragging with the mouse. -noopengl is much smoother. (I'm using a fairly high-end Core2Duo with graphic card.)

Do you have something to make an animation start automatically when savi opens? I just get a static planet and z,y,x axes unless I drag it around with the mouse.

I've now realised that my crashes only occur when I use the second screen attached to my machine. (Mea culpa - I take multiple screens for granted.) When geomview's camera is on the root (laptop) screen, X doesn't crash, even when texturemapping, and I get slow but flickery animations of texturemapped Earths. Move it over to the second screen and do something that invokes texturemapping like turning on a detailed Earth - goodbye, Mr X.

I am also using multiple monitors.

It's a little odd that XWin.0.log doesn't explicitly call out the two screens as such - it knows the primary (laptop) monitor is 1280 by 800, and that DIB has a height of 1824 because there's a 1280x1024 screen positioned above it.

Although the logging could perhaps be clearer, -multiwindow implies -multimonitors by default which gives a single X screen the size of the Windows virtual desktop.

Is it still useful to give you a bt from gdb?

Yes, please.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer