Re: X hardware acceleration still flaky?

Hi Jon,

I just downloaded the current X server and its libraries in the Cygwin distro; the xwin-gl allusion came from the previous thread I mentioned.

Compiling geomview 1.9.4 --with-opengl is straightforward (that's one improvement on pre-7.4 X; configure doesn't get confused about X library locations and building is easier). I then tried running savi with geomview:
- using OpenGL. 30 seconds of slow flickering (slow enough to be the software rendering that you alluded to?), then the X server consistently crashes, even before I've had a chance to turn on texturemapping...
- forcing internal geomview software rendering using geomview -noopengl -run ../savi1.4.3/savi $* . Works, but is rather stately. No texturemapping support, obviously. Less slow than the brief opengl attempt, though, which figures given that doing OpenGL in software imposes more layers of overhead?

That's the status from testing with what cygwin ships at the moment. I haven't tried your older binaries. Please let me know when you get to another test release, and I'll try it out.

thanks,

L.

SaVi satellite constellation visualization http://savi.sf.net/