Re: Resizing problem

On 7/15/2010 10:03 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 7/15/2010 9:26 PM, Olwe Melwasul wrote:
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Ken Brown<kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
On 7/15/2010 3:51 PM, Olwe Melwasul wrote:

Yes, I am using the emacs-X11 and yes, I started it (after starting the X server to get multiwindowed mode) with ">emacs&" at the cygwin command. Emacs-X11 comes up fine, looking good. Then I do "M-x shell" to get a shell environment inside of Emacs. But what comes up is not bash. I'm not sure what it is, but it sees no cygwin apps: It doesn't know what "ls" or "which diff" or any other GNU/cygwin stuff is. I assume it is the DOS shell. Oddly, if I start emacs-X11 inside the windowed mode (startx) and do emacs shell mode, it does see bash and the rest of the GNU/cygwin apps.

[Please don't top-post.]

I think the problem is that your PATH isn't set correctly inside emacs.  How
are you starting the X server?  If you use the start menu shortcut (with
target C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe)
you shouldn't have that problem.  Notice that it uses 'bash -l' precisely so
that the environment, including PATH, is set up in the normal way.

Ken

I started the X-server with the menu shortcut (which has the execute string you listed) and ... after ... a full minute it delivers a stand-alone xterm. I then click on the Emacs-X11, and after a long

It sounds like you're using the Emacs-X11 start menu shortcut that's created by the X-start-menu-icons package. Don't use it. It doesn't set up the environment properly before starting emacs. To get a useful shortcut, you can use the script /usr/bin/make-emacs-shortcut that comes with the emacs package.

I should have added that you should see /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs.README for more information about that script and the shortcut it creates.

Ken