Re: Font change in Gnu emacs/X11 following upgrade

On 4/29/2010 3:16 PM, Marc Girod wrote:

Ken Brown-6 wrote:

[This should have gone to the cygwin-xfree list. I've set the reply-to accordingly.] ... This is a result of the change in the default server DPI announced in

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2010-04/msg00000.html

As the announcement states, you may want to set Xft.dpi in your
~/.Xdefaults.  Setting it to 75 will restore the previous font and frame
sizes in emacs under X11.

I repost, since nabble didn't obey the reply-to.

Sounds simple and clear, but I do it, and get the same result...?

2009>  ll ~/.Xdefaults
-rw-r--r-- 1 emagiro EEI-ATusers 12 2010-04-29 19:18
/home/emagiro/.Xdefaults
2009>  cat ~/.Xdefaults
Xft.dpi: 75

I tried a smaller value (50), but no effect.

I'm sorry, I had forgotten that I've been using a GTK+ build of emacs, which I'm testing in preparation for the upcoming release of emacs 23.2. My advice works for that build, but not for the current emacs-X11 package, which was built with Xaw.

What if you just use a smaller font, for instance by putting the following in your ~/.Xdefaults:

Emacs.font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-9

Ken