Re: USER/GDI Objects leak with (XWin.exe) Cygwin/X X Server Verion 1.7.6, Build Date 2010-03-18

On 06/04/2010 20:05, Amal Khailtash wrote:
Click on Session menu and while the menu is open, move to Edit, then View, Bookmarks,
Settings and Help and click outside to withdraw menu:

Image Name    User Objects    GDI Objects
XWin.exe        39                  79

Click on any menu item and while the menu is open and move cursor to other menu items
a number of (20) times:

Image Name    User Objects    GDI Objects
XWin.exe        241                 483

Keep doing this and you will see the allocated objects keeps increasing and increasing and
they are never released even if I close my Konsole window!

Thanks for the clear reproduction steps. With these, I can reproduce this problem.

According to the GdiUsage tool this seems to be a GDI bitmap handle being leaked. Unfortunately GdiUsage seems to have rusted a bit and doesn't produce useful backtraces (and may well not be able to backtrace a cygwin executable, anyhow) so locating exactly where the leak is coming from is going to be a bit tricky...

The one thing I notice is that other applications with menus don't seem to show this problem. The konsole I was testing with is relatively recent and has menus with rounded corners, I wonder if that is somehow related to the problem?

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer