Re: emacs-x11 takes 30-40 sec to open after upgrading to cygwin-1.7

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 17:22, Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:

> The mechanism that loads ~/.Xdefaults into the X server resource database is
> nicely obscure, so I'm not sure that -q actually avoids that.
>
> The definitive way to check would be to move ~/.Xdefaults aside, restart the
> X server then start emacs (I'm not sure if your clean install test would
> have done this or not)

Yes, this is what I've done after the -Q didn't work. I'm currently
running without any customized ~/.Xdefaults, ~/.emacs, ~/.bashrc, etc.
It didn't make the problem go away. Emacs still takes ~30 sec to open.

> Another thing which might be worth trying is to see if the behaviour changes
> in a non-UTF-8 locale, e.g. export LANG=C and then run emacs.

Setting LANG=C doesn't solve the problem. And as I reported here

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2010-03/msg00090.html

LANG=en_US doesn't solve it either.

> So far it seems that (1) emacs takes a long time to start up (2) xterm
> starts up quickly. ?Are there other X applications that you use and how do
> they behave?

- Running "time xterm ls" (I believe 'ls' is taken to be the shell; so
xterm opens, lists the content of my homedir, and immediately closes)
reports about 2.6 of real time seconds.

- Opening xfig takes about 3-4 seconds.

- Doing "plot sin(x)" from within gnuplot takes about a second or less
to open up a window to display the graph.

- Opening xeyes takes a second or less.

- BUT opening xclock takes nearly 30 seconds (half user time, half system time).

So, as you speculated, it turns out this is not just an emacs problem.

--Dan