Re: emacs-x11 takes 30-40 sec to open after upgrading to cygwin-1.7

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 09:46, Bengt-Arne Fjellner
<Bengt-Arne.Fjellner@ltu.se> wrote:

> On 2010-04-13 1:52 AM, Dan Tsafrir wrote:
>>
>> I've invoked emacs with -Q (and also, just to make sure, removed my
>> ~/.Xdefaults). It did not change anything: emacs still takes ~30
>> seconds to open.
>

> A shot (well two) in the dark.
>
> I have seen delays of 30 seconds when the resolver has problems. Is your dns
> configuration correct?
> Do you have valid entries for localhost and your real hostname in
> windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts?

I'm not sure I know enough to answer these questions. If you could
please be more specific regarding what to check, I'll provide the
information. Assuming it's related, other then comment lines, my
cygwin /etc/hosts contains this single line only: "127.0.0.1
localhost". My DNS configuration appears to be working fine.

Note that the emacs / cygwin1.7 problem is reproducible in that it
reoccurs whenever I do a clean cygwin install (only installing the
default components plus emacs and its dependencies).

--Dan