X11 forwarding within LAN vs remote

This is my first post in this forum. I have a problem with X11 forwarding
that has plagued me for months now. I have a desktop PC acting as a server.
It runs OpenSSH. At work I have a laptop running Windows XP, Exceed X
Server, and PuTTy. I can SSH to my home LAN very easily and display X
applications remotely via Exceed.

Here's the problem. I can not do the same if I connect to my cygwin server
from within my LAN. All X11 apps just terminate with Error opening display.
Both the laptop and the cygwin server have firewalls turned off.

If I VPN to work from home with my laptop, then SSH back home to my cygwin
server, then I _can_ display X11 apps, but not if I SSH direct within the
LAN.

My router is a D-Link Extreme N.