RE: How do I start WM?

	Here's my .xinitrc, modified for your pleasure:

[SNIP]
#!/bin/sh

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f "$userresources" ]; then
    xrdb -merge "$userresources"
fi

if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
    xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi

# start some nice programs

xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x25+0-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x20+0+0 -C -name Console &
openbox
[/SNIP]

	Notice the first line.  This is a script.  When it ends, startx ends, as does your X session.  Notice the last line.  The X session now lasts as long as the window manager.  Note the lack of redirects on the window manager, and the use of a console window.  I haven't tested this extensively with 1.7, but it's worked like a rock in the past.

	HTH,

Mike