Re: Unrecognisable file format errors running setup.exe

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 05:06:28PM -0800, Paul Loewenstein wrote:
>Because I install Cygwin on multiple systems, I initially run setup.exe
>under wine (fedora 11) to download the files into a Samba-accessible
>directory  (Distribution/Cygwin/ on Cambridge), into which I also place
>setup.exe.
>
>On a Vista system (I haven't tried to reproduce on XP), I then run the
>Samba-accessible setup.exe image to install from local directory.  This
>worked flawlessly under Cygwin 1.5.  For 1.7, I get repeated "Cygwin
>Setup" popup windows stating:  "Can't open file
>//\\CAMBRIDGE\Distribution\Cygwin/ for reading:  Unrecogisable file
>format"  (spelling reproduced as displayed).  Clicking OK button allows
>setup to continue.
>
>Apart from this, setup.exe appeared to function correctly except for not
>generating a desktop icon.

Hopefully you're not seriously expecting anyone to debutg a problem where
you run setup.exe under wine to download to a samba system so that setup.exe
can be run on YA system.  That's hardly a common use case.

If this is something that you need debugged, I think you're going to have
to do it yourself.

cgf