RE: cygwin-x xterm not compatible with windows 7?

	This is the right place, but it's possible none of us with time to spare has run on Windows 7 64 bit yet.

>      I just bought a new PC with windows 7 64 bit, build number 7600,
> version 6.1.
> I downloaded a fresh install of cygwin and cannot get cygwin-x xterm
> running.  Cygwin version is 1.7.0(0.218/5/3)
>
> I tried running the cygwin-x XWin Server shortcut command line from a
> cmd
> window to get the error output:
>
> C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/startxwin.bat
>
> and see this:
>
> "/usr/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0"
>
> this seems to be coming from this command in the batch file:
> :\Users\princess>C:\cygwin\bin\\..\bin\run -p /usr/bin xterm -e
> /usr/bin/bash -
>
> usr/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0

	...implying that the server didn't start.  Did you run as administrator?

> checked to see if there
> was more than one cygwin1.dll in response to earlier posts about this
> error
> and there is only one.
>
> I tried turning off the windows firewall.  That helps in other ways,
> because
> other cygwin network
> utilities, such as nslookup were blocked until I did that.
>
> I tried changing the display from 127.0.0.1 to the IP address of the
> machine.

	I believe the X server listens on 0.0.0.0, so that shouldn't make a difference.

> Basically, I have a fresh machine with windows 7 and a fresh install of
> cygwin and I can't get
> xterm to work.  Anyone have any ideas?  Or is this just a windows 7
> thing,
> and I'll have to give
> up on cygwin-x for a while?
>
> BTW, other shortcuts in the cygwin-x start folder work, such as bitmap
> and
> xcalc, just not the
> Xwin server and xterm.

	How can xcalc work if the server doesn't start?!

	Please send your /var/log/XWin0.log and cygcheck.out (cygcheck -s -v -r >cygcheck.out) as attachments in the hope that they will inspire.

	Thanks,

Mike