cygwin-x xterm not compatible with windows 7?

Hi All:
This is my first post here. I've never had a problem I couldn't fix with cygwin-x before.
Here is the deal:

I just bought a new PC with windows 7 64 bit, build number 7600, version 6.1.
I downloaded a fresh install of cygwin and cannot get cygwin-x xterm running. Cygwin version is 1.7.0(0.218/5/3)

I tried running the cygwin-x XWin Server shortcut command line from a cmd window to get the error output:

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/startxwin.bat

and see this:

"/usr/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0"

this seems to be coming from this command in the batch file:
:\Users\princess>C:\cygwin\bin\\..\bin\run -p /usr/bin xterm -e /usr/bin/bash -

usr/bin/xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0

If I kill the server and run the script again, I'll get a STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION error, indicating
some sort of shared memory corruption. I then have to restart the PC. I checked to see if there
was more than one cygwin1.dll in response to earlier posts about this error and there is only one.

I tried turning off the windows firewall. That helps in other ways, because other cygwin network
utilities, such as nslookup were blocked until I did that.

I tried changing the display from 127.0.0.1 to the IP address of the machine.

Basically, I have a fresh machine with windows 7 and a fresh install of cygwin and I can't get
xterm to work. Anyone have any ideas? Or is this just a windows 7 thing, and I'll have to give
up on cygwin-x for a while?

BTW, other shortcuts in the cygwin-x start folder work, such as bitmap and xcalc, just not the
Xwin server and xterm.

Thanks in advance,

George