Re: 'run xterm' fails to open a window

On 13/11/2009 03:14, Ken Brown wrote:
On 11/12/2009 3:17 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 10/11/2009 23:44, Mike Ayers wrote:]

Apparently, run.exe is not providing stdout/stderr to dump to. The workaround:

[SNIP]
C:\mike>C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe -p /usr/bin sh -c "gvim>/dev/null 2>&1"
C:\mike>
[/SNIP]

Wait, are you saying that the process that run starts is blocked if it tries to output anything?

Ah, so this explains my xterm problem that started this thread. When I start xterm from a shell, I always get the message

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

When I start xterm via run, this message apparently has nowhere to go
and the xterm process is blocked. Mike's workaround (with 'gvim'
replaced by 'xterm') solves the problem, as he said. Is this a bug in run?

It does kind of look like some problem with run, but not a universal one, 'run xterm' has been working as expected for me, even when it has to output something.

Experimenting a bit, this seems to be related to having CYWIN=tty set in the windows environment. If I remove that, I can reproduce the problem you see.

I really don't understand the invisible console stuff well enough to attempt a fix, though...

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer