Re: release scheduling, cygwin 1.7 et al (was Re: X11R7.5 & fontcache..)

On 11/04/2009 05:05 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
   I saw support for dual installations in a recent announcement on Cygwin's
main list.  I've also seen quite a few problems reported against 1.7 in the
compatibility department, but I realize that gives no indication of the
number of users who don't have problems.
The announced wasn't clear if the dual installation support was backwards
compatible to 1.5.

It's been possible to install and run Cygwin 1.7 alongside 1.5 since, well, for quite a long time. This was seen as a requirement for package maintainers to start making the move to 1.7 (though it isn't a strict requirement that they do so). The announcement that you saw about multiple cygwin1.dlls with 1.7 means that this "flexibility" has been extended to any 1.7.x version as well. So, start dropping 1.7 cygwin1.dlls all over your disk. It's time to spread the joy! ;-)

As for "compatibility", that's in the eye of the beholder.  But I haven't seen
anything yet that I consider a show-stopper, especially considering that 1.5 is
still going to be there for anyone that can't tolerate 1.7 for some reason. But
that's just my opinion.

Holliston, MA 01746