RE: Trouble with the xwin and ms remote desktop

Jon: Thanks for the response.

> > I have been running Xwin on xp pro for a week along with xterms and
> > emacs on my desktop.
> >
> > I then tried to remote connect (ms remote desktop:
> mstsc.exe) to the
> > desktop from a laptop across the internet.
> >
> > 1) As soon as I had connected to my desktop (which was
> running xwin),
> > the xserver crashed. I could see the rest of the ms xp apps on the
> > remote screen though.
> >
> > The laptop has a 14" screen whereas the desktop has twin
> 19" screens.
> > I then re-started the xserver from the remote laptop while
> connecting
> > to the desktop, which seemed to be working fine as long as
> I stayed on
> > the laptop.
> >
> > 2) When I got back to my desktop, the xserver still thought
> that the
> > laptop's screen was in use, and wouldnt display correctly
> past the top
> > two thirds of screen 0.
> > I guess this makes sense since the xserver knew of the
> smaller screen
> > size when it was started during the remote session.
> > Consequently, anything on the bottom of the screen would
> not draw at
> > all, or refresh properly.
> > i.e. if I had an xterm on the lower end of the monitor, it
> would not
> > accept any key strokes until I moved the xterm to the top
> two-thirds
> > of the screen.
> >

> > Is there any way to request Xwin.exe to dynamically "resize" itself
> > rather than bouncing the xserver a specific size/resolution
> profile ??
> >
> > Otherwise, I might have to bounce the xserver every time i
> alternate
> > between the desktop and the laptop.
>
> This is a known limitation. The only workaround is to restart
> the Xserver when the display resolution changes.  Having used
> the Xserver in a similar way, I do know how irritating that is :-)

I was hoping there would be a xserver.resize() function that could be
called from the xroot menu, but I guess not.
This would definitely save a lot of headaches, when switching between
different display sizes and resolutions.

> This is the "Windows display size/Monitor count/position
> changes while running." item on the todo list at [1], as
> connecting via RDP with a different desktop size effectively
> changes the display size
>
> However, this shouldn't be causing a crash, so if you could
> provide the /var/log/Xwin.0.log for a session when that
> happens, that would be useful.

The xserver on the desktop definitely crashed the first time I connected
from a laptop which had never been used before.
I will have to observe if this happens again.

Thanks again.