cannot type in my xterm after new installation

Hi, all --

I've just done a fresh Cygwin install on a new laptop and have run into
some interesting challenges.  I copied over my old startxwin.bat file
from another machine and can now throw up an xterm and such, but all is
still not well.

I've noted other posts on how to get rid of the toolbar but didn't
actually see where (.Xdefaults? xapplres? other?) and how (???) to do
so, so I'm dealing with it at the moment.

More interestingly, though, is that I cannot interact with an xterm
after it opens no matter what sorts of toolbar changes I make.  I can
*see* my prompt there but can't actually do anything!  The same goes for
an rxvt-x terminal, although an rxvt-native term works just fine.

What do I need to do to be able to actually type anything? :-)

TIA & HAND

:-D
--
David T-G