Re: Windows 7 RC1 and Cygwin 1.7

Hi Ben,

sorry for the late response.  That's what vacation does to you :}

On May 19 21:04, richardvoigt@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Corinna Vinschen
> > As for the console windows popping up, thats a generic bug in the new
> > console code in W7, affecting 32 and 64 bit versions. ?For some reason
> > the AllocConsole call does not honor the fact that the application
> > switched to another active WindowStation. ?Thus, console windows which
> > are meant to be hidden in another, hidden WindowStation, are wrongly
> > created on the desktop of the original, visible WindowStation.
> >
> > I reported this bug upstream as well, but unfortunately I got the reply
> > that this bug won't be fixed in this Windows release. ?I'm still trying
> > to convince Microsoft that this is a serious problem, though.
>
> Corinna,
>
> Do you have a link to a bug report on Connect?  I'll upvote it.

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=443006&SiteID=647

I don't know if upvoting will help, but it's worth a try, I guess.

> And should I download the latest release in order to validate this, or
> are there testing builds?  I haven't installed Cygwin on my 64-bit
> Win7RC box yet but I need to, can't use any computer long without an
> ssh client.

The problem is independent of any Cygwin release and actually independent
of Cygwin at all.  The above Connect issue even contains a bare Win32
testcase in source code.

> Are there any other bugs you'd like validated and upvoted?  I'm not

Well, there's this issue:
https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=445558&SiteID=647
The reply I got indicates that it's not yet clear if it will get a fix,
though it's easy to reproduce.  I don't think it's *very* critical, but
I don't like the idea that a process tree can lose handles when the
close-on-exec flag is set for console file descriptors.

My other open issues are:

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=447597&SiteID=647
Marked as resolved but I can still reproduce in the latest build.

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=447443&SiteID=647
Has been fixed but introduces a new bug which I'm going to report today
or tomorrow.  A file not found on an NFS share now reports the wrong
error code STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND instead of STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE
in the latest build.  That's bad for Cygwin.  But I still have to verify
on a 32 bit system before I file the issue.

https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=442994&SiteID=647
is still heavily worked on.

> exactly sure how to reproduce that issue you found with the cost to
> access directories on NTFS increasing exponentially with nesting
> level.... well repro might not be hard but pinpointing MS-provided

This is an old issue I reported as one of my MSDN cases.  Given that it
only occurs on NT kernels of the 5.x series and has been fixed in the
6.0 kernel, there won't be a fix for that.  I already pulled it through
all instances.

> After all, what's MVP status good for if not telling 'em they broke
> valuable cygwin stuff.

Right :)

Thanks,
Corinna