Re: Pipe (|) symbol under spanish keybord in xterm

Gery Herbozo Jimenez wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I run the command line: WXin.exe -xkblayout es, appeared the Cygwin/X terminal (gray one) and I got the pipe but with other
key, weird or normal? should I run this command or put it in the Xorg.conf file?

I hope this means that it is working correctly, now.

The most common Spanish keyboard layout should be auto-detected, so I guess you have a slightly unusual one. If you could provide the information requested in http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-submit-layout
we can add it in future.

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-why-no-xf86config

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:10:17 -0400
Subject: Re: Pipe (|) symbol under spanish keybord in xterm
From: markjreed@gmail.com
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Gery Herbozo Jimenez wrote:
I've been working for a while with a spanish keyboard
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-non-U.S.-keyboard-layout

and up to now I don't know how to get the pipe (|) symbol in my xterm terminal. However, I
do get it in the bash terminal without problems using Ctrl + Alt + 1. When I follow this step
in the xterm I get this instead of the pipe: (arg: 1). What does it mean?
In readline's emacs mode, holding down the alt key while typing
numbers is how you enter a repeat count for an editing command - e.g.
alt-3 alt-f (hold down alt and type 3f) to go forward three words. The
"(arg: 1)" means you've typed a repeat count of "1" so far (you could
add more digits to make it "10" or something). The control key is not
contributing anything in this instance.

It seems X is not recognizing your keyboard layout. I'd try adding
"-xkblayout es" to the X server command line, as indicated in the
above FAQ entry.