Re: XWin wrong fonts after update

Thanks a lot Dirk!

Your link did the trick. I have installed the font-adobe-dpi75 and now the
remote application does work properly!
I have already saw the hint on the net of installing the abobe fonts but
it was always correlated to emacs showing up with bad fonts ... but my
emacs (xamacs) was showing up absolutely properly! that's why I assumed it
was not my case!

I still do not understand why I had to install it. I mean:
1) Before it was not installed and the remote application was working
properly. Even in the web page "Some packages dependencies have not yet
been updated for the fonts they require " well it is a remote application
so it should not have anything to do with "local package dependencies":
either the font is there or not ..... I guess .. I might be wrong, I am
not an X expert.
 2) I had a look now at the test system I have installed yesterday (cygwin
fresh installed on the up-to-date version, not an update), which did
always work. There the font-adobe-dpi75 are not installed and anyway it
works.

So again (that was my comment on my first mail which maybe was
misunderstood): it seems to me that there is a difference between 2
systems which are at the newest state now  but one of them was installed
in the newest state, the other one was updated to the newest state.

I have executed the cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out command on both
machines, I have noticed no special differences, obviously the 2 hardware
are different, the software installed is different and in the test system
there are much less cygwin packages installed being a test. Anyway I had
more fonts installed on the productive system then on the test system
(follow the list of fonts that were on the prod system which were not on
the test

font-alias              1.0.1-1
font-bitstream-dpi75    1.0.0-1
font-bitstream-type1    1.0.0-1
font-encodings          1.0.2-1
font-misc-misc          1.0.0-1
ghostscript-fonts-other 6.0-1
ghostscript-fonts-std   8.11-1
).  (I can post the 2 complete outputs if you wish).

The thing which makes me still worried is: which other fonts should I
extra install to be safe for "future applications". I explain: I am a
sysadmin and it happens that I startup remotely graphical applications
which would be unpleasant to be forced to stop while executing because of
missing fonts (installing stuffs).

For completeness I tell you the whole story:

* In the past I always started X with the Mortens X-Launcher with the
multiwindow & clipboard options set (rest = default)
* yesterday I have started the X from the command line (from rxvt) with
/usr/bin/XWin.exe :0 -clipboard -multiwindow . The "problem" was that I
got no warning and no error whatsoever on console!!
* today I have tried to start X from the Start link (the
/usr/bin/startxwin.bat ): nothing has started, no X no error.
 * then I have started X from command line (from rxvt) with
/usr/bin/run.exe /usr/bin/startxwin.bat and I got on console an error:

<catia.lavalle@agdehenw00055:~/Eigene Dateien> /usr/bin/run.exe
/usr/bin/startxwin.bat
<catia.lavalle@agdehenw00055:~/Eigene Dateien> startxwin.bat - Starting on
Windows NT/2000/XP/2003
Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden.
Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden.

(path not found)
and no I had no X.
* then I have started X from command line (from rxvt) with
/usr/bin/startxwin.sh . I have got X, the same console output as yesterday
+ DECISIVE the Warning "Warning: Cannot convert string
"-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type
FontStruct"

It was then clear to me what to do.

So thanks again.

p.s. Note just to report: even now I get the same error using
startxwin.bat, and on the test system there is no /usr/bin/startxwin* at
all.

p.p.s. @Phil: I work professionally with Unix/Linux Systems since more
then 10 Years and I am a Dr. in theoretical Physics. There are for sure
tons of things I do not know, I have never worked on and I  am not an
expert on and I always welcome everybody teaching me something new, but
for sure I am not stupid and DO  understand things I read, if I don't, I
ask. I DO know very well the principle of free software and one of the
main principles is" I help you, you help me and things go forward. not
because I got paid for what I do but because I want to share my knowledge,
my expertise and my time". That's why I find very low level and out of
place such  no-point ,aggressive, self-satisfied answer in such mailing
lists/forum. If you find my question stupid, just do not loose your time
answering me, you have not to.
And again on free software: it is exactly because I KNOW what free
software is that I report problems (not only because I want them solved
... there are other solutions without cygwin to have an X server
running!!!). The fact that I report something not working, no matter why,
is to be taken with an "ops" maybe we should fine-tune it for the next
time so that such problems do not pop up, because, you can trust me there
are for sure tons of people out there which have had the same problem and
do not have the skill, the time, the will to report the problem and/or to
"understand" (as you say) the solution. Free software for sure does not
mean  you have to be an expert in everything you are willing to use!

Externe Mail : cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com       01.04.2009    17:24

Gesendet von: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
Bitte antworten an cygwin-xfree
An:
cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

Kopie:

Thema:
Re: XWin wrong fonts after update

catia.lavalle@bechtle.com schrieb:

Please check the FAQ for informations about the update:
   http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#modular

There are some changes in the location of file after the upgrade,
so you have to set up old start scripts for the X server to the new
structure.

If you can not solve the problem with, the informations in the FAQ,
please follow the instructions for reporting a problem:
You can check the output of
   cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
on both computers to see differences.

I think it is important to know how you start the X server on both
computers and to check for differences in the start up scripts.

Regards
Dirk