RE: XWin wrong fonts after update

I know I can always tell which packages are to be updated, what if I do
not what to?

I mean I am not installing a beta distribution, so I assume that the
things are enough tested before they are posted in a repository. Obviously
it can happen that something is buggy or does not work for one or another
reason the way it should, but for sure this is to be seen as a bug and not
as stupidity of the people who install the update.

And at the end of the day what should people do keep the "old" packages
all life long? sometimes I will be "forced" to trust you and apply the
update anyway, and the X.org major update is now "old" (November 2008).

If something needs manual "help" before the update procedure can be
performed (which should never happen if the update procedure is good
enough), a warning message should pop up.

Even if I accept (which I do not really) that I was not enough careful in
applying the update what should I do now: kill myself? reinstall the whole
system or are you willing to give an hint how to restore the
functionality?

If there is no point in attaching a screen shot and you are soo good in
understanding what I mean, you would be soo good even in answering right
away solving the problem instead replying with an useless polemic mail,
right?

p.s. I did googled and I did look in the previous threads and I did not
find any answer to my question, that's why am am asking.

Externe Mail : cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com       01.04.2009    15:29

Gesendet von: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
Bitte antworten an cygwin-xfree
An:
<cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>

Kopie:

Thema:

catia.lavalle@xxxxxxx.xxx wrote:
> I've been using since ages cygwin and XWin (XWin :0 -clipboard
> -multiwindow) on a Win XP Prof 32bit and I had no problems at all.
Last
> update of cygwin I did was some month ago (I do not know exactly
when).
> Yesterday afternoon I did again an update (like I always did without
> looking at he home page of cygwin) and I have realized that the X.org
> was updated.

You can always tell which packages are going to be updated by clicking
the View button in setup.exe until the label next to it reads "Partial".
In fact, I wouldn't recommend updating without first checking that
list.

You should then read the announcements for the packages about to be
updated so that you're not surprised by any changes.  The X update was
a VERY large one and came with quite a detailed announcement.

> The problem is since then a graphical application which is ssh
tunneled
> from a remote linux machine, which was working until the update, now
is
> showing up with horrible (almost not readable) text fonts (Is there a
> way
> to attach a screenshot?).

There's no point.  Anyone subscribed to this list will already know
what your problem is.

> I have tried to do a new installation of cygwin on another machine. On
> the
> fresh installed machine the same application exports fine with the
> correct
> fonts.
>
> This means that the update is the problem.

No.  The problem is that you didn't do your research before updating,
and once you had the problem, you don't appear to have tried to find
out the answer before posting your question.

Please look in the announcements archive at
  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/
You should then check the FAQ here
  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/
and the user guide here
  http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/

If you're still not sure what your problem is, before posting again
please search the archives of this mailing list at
  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/
where the topic has been discussed MANY times.

Phil
This email has been scanned by Ascribe Ltd using Microsoft Antigen for
Exchange.