RE: Re: Is there any way to make the key combination "Ctrl+Space" work under cygwin-XServer?

SUN, Jian wrote:
> Thanks a lot, do you mean that Exceed breaks X convenience and catches
> the key sequences?

It's a few years since I tried Exceed's server, but IIRC that was one
of the problems I had.  I had to tailor my .emacs to remap keys, but
because I only used Exceed at work, I got sick of trying to remember
which server I was using, and therefore which keystroke I could use,
and ditched Exceed as soon as XWin became stable enough.

> So the standard XFree server's behavior is to pass the key sequence to
> the x applications and let them to decide what to do. Am i right?

Yes

> If so, how can I configure xterm or gnome-terminal to let them
> response to the ALt-Space key combination? I like this feature very
> much and it's also the default behavior of Gnome.

The problem is that (in multiwindow mode), the window menu is a
_Windows_ menu; it's not an X window menu.  I don't believe there is a
way to activate that from within an X application.  However, you can
use translations in your ~/.Xdefaults to map keystrokes to minimize/
maximize/restore.  man xterm, and search for "translations" and
"ACTIONS".  I'd advise against using alt-space (it's also used by
readline, and therefore by bash, as well as emacs).  I would suggest
using the context menu key (usually next to Alt Gr), which, as a
fairly recent addition to keyboards is unlikely to be used by console
apps.  E.g. something like this should work:

XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override \n\
<KeyPress>Menu:maximize() \n\
Ctrl<KeyPress>Menu:restore() \n\
Shift<KeyPress>Menu:iconify() \n\
Meta<KeyPress>Menu:deiconify()

I've not tested this, and it's several years since I needed to define
any translations, so if you don't understand how translations work,
you should read the documentation before trying this.

The same technique should work with any Xt based X application.

> Thanks a lot,
> SUN, Jian  (Jason)
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Phil Betts <Phil.Betts@xxxxxxx.xxx>

Please don't quote raw email addresses in your replies.  They appear in
the archives on the web, and are therefore available to be harvested by
spammers.

Phil
This email has been scanned by Ascribe PLC using Microsoft Antigen for Exchange.