Re: xdvi unexplained locale problem

Dan Tsafrir wrote:
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Mike Ayers <mike_ayers@tvworks.com> wrote:
Dan Tsafrir wrote:
open xdvi, I get the following error message:
Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
Try unsetting LOCPATH:

This didn't work either.

In fact, I tried unset-ing this and very many other env variables
before posting the question here.

I'm sorry, I must have left my telepathy switched off. Anything else that you've tried that you'd like to mention now :-)

Looking at your cygcheck output some more, I notice you seem to have a lot of old X DLLs in /usr/X11R6/bin/ (which should have been removed by setup, but haven't been for some reason [in use when setup was run?]). Since xdvi is still in /usr/X11R6/bin, this might well be causing a problem (the Windows loader looks in the directory from which the application loaded to find DLLs first, I think?)

It seems to me that the behavior is
unrelated to any env variables. It appears as though, for some
unexplained reason, somewhere along the way, xdvi or X think they need
to change to a locale other than C.

Googling the error messages shows that ubuntu users faced a similar
problem in early 2007 (related to xdvi and xfig):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/control-center/+bug/2066

I don't actually see the "locale not supported" warning anywhere in that bug report, so I am unsure of it's relevance.

Some thought it was an xorg problem. The suggested workarounds (e.g.,
setting a LANG=C env var) don't work for me. Am I the only one that
gets this error message for xdvi on cygwin?

I'm sorry to say that, yes, you are abnormal :-) xdvi runs without this error message for me.