X server causing IE lockups

Recently started using the Xserver and have issues now with IE. IE will become
unresponsive. When I kill the xserver IE becomes responsive again.

I also have issues with any vncclient sessions I'm running. The cut-n-paste
buffers stop working in vnc. Vnc doesn't require the xserver.

It's not a showstopper because I can kill the xserver and get expected
behavior back. Is this a known issue/limitation? This is on winxp.