Re: Unable to load any usable iso8859 font

I hope this isn't a double post, my 1st msg was bounced for having
some sort in inline html.  Anyway, I'm having the same issue.  I
upgraded and now X doesn't start, and has the same error.   I tried
reinstalling fonts, adding additional fonts, etc.  Even renaming my
cygwin and download dirs and creating a fresh (unless there were
registry hooks from beyond the grave) install, same issue.    I read
the upgrade info, but to my limited understanding the known issue were
around custom startup scripts, while I just use the vanilla stuff
that's provied.     If I start the server from the start menu icon,
the server loads, but no x apps load.  If, for example, from bash I
try and start xterm, I get a msg about display not set, which I fix,
and then:

$ xterm
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Error: Aborting: no font found

-------------------------------------

Here's the error when I use startx instead: (and log file at the bottom).

$ startx
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/mstave/.serverauth.9888

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 47: twm: command not found
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 48: xclock: command not found
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 fontWarning: Warning:
Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Error: Aborting: no font foundError: Aborting: no font found
Aborting: no font found

waiting for X server to shut down .........
Here's what I have installed - my apologies if there's more here than's needed.

Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version
_update-info-dir     00796-1
alternatives         1.3.30c-2
ash                  20040127-4
autossh              1.4b-1
base-files           3.7-1
base-passwd          2.2-1
bash                 3.2.48-21
bash-completion      20060301-2
bzip2                1.0.5-2
coreutils            6.10-2
crypt                1.1-1
csih                 0.1.8-1
cygrunsrv            1.34-1
cygutils             1.3.2-1
cygwin               1.5.25-15
cygwin-doc           1.4-4
diffutils            2.8.7-1
e2fsprogs            1.35-3
editrights           1.01-2
expat                2.0.1-1
findutils            4.4.0-3
font-adobe-dpi100    1.0.0-1
font-alias           1.0.1-1
font-bh-dpi100       1.0.0-1
font-encodings       1.0.2-1
fontconfig           2.6.0-1
gawk                 3.1.6-1
grep                 2.5.3-1
groff                1.19.2-2
gzip                 1.3.12-2
inetutils            1.5-4
less                 382-1
libbz2_1             1.0.5-2
libdb4.5             4.5.20.2-2
libexpat1            2.0.1-1
libexpat1-devel      2.0.1-1
libfontconfig1       2.6.0-1
libfontenc1          1.0.4-2
libfreetype26        2.3.8-1
libfreetype6         2.3.8-1
libgdbm4             1.8.3-8
libGL1               7.2-2
libICE6              1.0.4-2
libiconv2            1.12-1
libintl2             0.12.1-3
libintl3             0.14.5-1
libintl8             0.17-3
libncurses8          5.5-3
libpcre0             7.8-1
libpixman1_0         0.12.0-1
libpopt0             1.6.4-4
libreadline6         5.2.13-11
libSM6               1.1.0-1
libwrap0             7.6-4
libX11_6             1.1.5-2
libXau6              1.0.4-1
libXaw7              1.0.5-1
libxcb-xlib0         1.1-2
libxcb1              1.1-2
libXdmcp6            1.0.2-3
libXext6             1.0.4-1
libXft2              2.1.13-1
libxkbfile1          1.0.5-2
libXmu6              1.0.4-1
libXmuu1             1.0.4-1
libXpm4              3.5.7-2
libXrender1          0.9.4-2
libXt6               1.0.5-2
login                1.9-8
luit                 1.0.3-1
man                  1.6e-1
minires              1.02-1
mkfontdir            1.0.4-1
mkfontscale          1.0.5-1
ncftp                3.2.1-1
openssh              5.1p1-10
openssl              0.9.8j-1
perl                 5.10.0-5
ping                 1.0-1
rebase               2.4.4-1
rgb                  1.0.3-1
rsync                3.0.4-1
run                  1.1.10-1
sed                  4.1.5-2
tar                  1.21-1
termcap              20050421-1
terminfo             5.5_20061104-1
texinfo              4.8a-1
tzcode               2008h-1
util-linux           2.14.1-1
which                2.20-1
X-start-menu-icons   1.0.4-1
xauth                1.0.3-1
xcursor-themes       1.0.1-1
xinit                1.1.1-1
xkbcomp              1.0.5-1
xkeyboard-config     1.4-1
xman                 1.0.3-3
xmodmap              1.0.3-1
xorg-server          1.5.3-5
xrdb                 1.0.5-1
xterm                238-1
zlib                 1.2.3-2
zsync                0.5-1

XWin.0.log:
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.5.3.0 (20090121)
Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/X :0 -auth /home/mstave/.serverauth.9888

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1400 h 1050
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
winPrefsLoadPreferences: /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
(--) 5 mouse buttons found
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (USA)" (409), type "4"
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/OTF, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Clipboard is not enabled, returning.
(II) XF86Config is not supported
(II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for more information
winPrefsLoadPreferences: /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
(--) 5 mouse buttons found
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "English (USA)" (409), type "4"
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/OTF, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'