Re: Unable to load any usable iso8859 font

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 05:04:08AM -0800, amorphia wrote:
>Can I plead for developers, please please don't make setup.exe broken? I am
>sure there are many many users like me who don't expect to have to be
>monitoring some random mailing lists in order to work out what else you need
>to do when running setup.exe with default options. Fine, if you make a
>mistake with dependencies. But I think there must be a lot of other people
>out there like me who are tech savvy enough to need cygwin but not tech
>savvy enough for it to be a walk in the park when this happens, so surely
>it's not OK to deliberately alter cygwin so that setup.exe no longer
>installs everything you need for the most basic purpose, i.e. opening an
>xterm window?

Huh?  This should be a typical scenario wherein you report a *problem*
and hope that someone will be available to help you fix it.  Once it is
fixed, then theoretically it will no longer be a problem.
Characterising this as somehow intentional or as the result of
inattention is insulting and counterproductive.

As you've found, the expectations that you can just blindly update to a
major new release and expect that there will not be any problems and
that you will not have to do any homework are obviously not working for
you.  You can try, if you want, to put the onus of perfection on the
people providing you with (free) software but you're going to be
fighting a losing battle.

If any of this bothers you then maybe you should investigate using a
commercial product where you can castigate the people you pay when their
installation experiences hiccups and is not a "walk in the park".

cgf