Re: Unable to load any usable iso8859 font

Dan Moulding wrote:
This time, I was getting "Unable to load any usable iso8859 font"
errors anytime I'd try to start xterm. I searched the FAQs and the
web, but was unable to find any suggestions that led to a solution. At
one point, while trying to fix the problem, I also got the "could not
open default font 'fixed'" error, but none of the solutions listed in
the FAQ were applicable (either the problem described was obviously
not a match, or the solution, like re-installing all fonts, had
already been tried).

This is really strange. "Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font" comes from Xt, when it has failed to load the requested font, it tries a fallback of "-*-*-*-R-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-ISO8859-*", which should always match the built-in font "-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1" (aka fixed, which the server should refuse to start if it can't find)

As a last resort, I used the Cygwin setup log to figure out which
packages had been updated, and rolled them all back to the versions I
was previously using. Now my X applications are working fine again, so
something in one of the updated packages definitely triggered this
problem.

xorg-server-1.5.3-5 made a change to the way the built-in font-path element is made available, I suspect this is somehow causing problems.