Re: Unable to load any usable iso8859 font

Dan Moulding wrote:

> I typically update my Cygwin installations about once a month, and
> rarely run into any difficulties. However, this morning after updating
> I could no longer start any X applications due to some apparent font
> problems. Please note that I successfully installed the *new* Cygwin/X
> a couple of months ago, and previously resolved some of the seemingly
> more common font problems (like "boxes" showing up in emacs).
>
> This time, I was getting "Unable to load any usable iso8859 font"
> errors anytime I'd try to start xterm.

I was getting exactly the same problem after updating today. Some googling
found this post:

http://gaoithe.livejournal.com/19556.html

Which suggested that it could be fixed by updating some packages like fonts
which are not currently automatically updated by setup.exe. After some time
spent reading the information linked to by that post, I still couldn't work
out exactly what packages were missing. So I just ticked to update every
single thing under X11, and ran it. Walnut... sledgehammer... worked.

Can I plead for developers, please please don't make setup.exe broken? I am
sure there are many many users like me who don't expect to have to be
monitoring some random mailing lists in order to work out what else you need
to do when running setup.exe with default options. Fine, if you make a
mistake with dependencies. But I think there must be a lot of other people
out there like me who are tech savvy enough to need cygwin but not tech
savvy enough for it to be a walk in the park when this happens, so surely
it's not OK to deliberately alter cygwin so that setup.exe no longer
installs everything you need for the most basic purpose, i.e. opening an
xterm window?

Cheers!

Ben