Cursor keys don't work in xterm

I have cygwin installed, and the cursor keys "don't work" in an xterm.  By
"don't work" I mean that they don't generate any bytes.

To test this, I have a program that echoes keystroke data to the screen, so
for instance, it shows that [End] will generate "<esc>[F", F1 generates
"<esc>OP", etc.  All is good there.

The Up, Down, Left, and Right keys, however, generate nothing at all - as
though they were never pressed.  This is true of the Keypad  cursor keys
(which are the ones that I REALLY want to work), and for the inverted-T
cursor keys, which I don't care about).

xmodmap -px shows that the keys in question are defined as follows:

     97               0xff50 (Home)
     98               0xff52 (Up)
     99               0xff55 (Prior)
    100               0xff51 (Left)
    101
    102               0xff53 (Right)
    103               0xff57 (End)
    104               0xff54 (Down)

I can't figure out, though, where to define the escape sequences generated
by these keys.

Can anyone help me figure out how to define these keys?

Even a pointer to some documentation to how the X keyboard system works
would do.

A)	I can't figure out how to determine what
	keycodes are generated by a given key on
	the keyboard
	- is there a utility to do this?

B)	I can't figure how how to get from knowing
	a key's keycode, to producing an escape
	sequence when it's pressed.

Help is appreciated!