To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: 19 August 2008 09:42
Subject: RE: Running a simple GUI app

John Emmas wrote on Monday, August 18, 2008 7:43 PM::

Sorry Phil if my questions seem 'lame'.  I should have explained that
I only installed Cygwin this morning so I'm by no means up to speed
with the concepts or terminology.

I'm sorry if it came across wrongly. I didn't mean to suggest you were currently lame. I had assumed from the context that you were probably new to at least some of the technology and was trying to steer you away from _becoming_ a lame Windows user.

Anyway, I managed to arrange Windows so that it now starts X at boot
up. This means that I can use a (DOS) console window to navigate to
the appropriate directory, type 'HelloWorld' and my HelloWorld app
launches with X just running silently in the background.  That's a
lot slicker than the procedure I was using a few hours ago.  Thanks
for the suggestion.

What's strange though is that I can't just double-click on the app's
icon and launch it.  There's a (slim) chance that this could be a
Windows problem but I've never known any other Windows app that can
be started from a command line but can't be started by clicking its
icon.  Any ideas?

As cgf has suggested, it's probably the DISPLAY environment variable. Alternatively, you could use the standard X parameter "-display :0" if your program supports it.

Phil
--
This email has been scanned by Ascribe PLC using Microsoft Antigen for
Exchange.