Re: Using XWin.exe to connect to a linux X Server

jose isaias cabrera schrieb:
I am trying to connect to a Gentoo X Server and it is connecting, but I
don't seem to be able to open an xterm.  All I get is a full screen
without anything.  I am running this command:

XWin -query d-tuxedo

Are you sure XDMCP is enabled on this server? Try Xwin -query gentoo.numeric.ip -from windows.nummeric.ip
I did that and I get the same thing.  I get the Cygwin X Window with the
title,

Cygwin/X - d-tuxedo.na.xde3.xerox.org

Because I think I am connecting, but I am not getting anything yet.

What you get if you try to connect with XDMCP (that's the protocol you are using if you chose -query) is completely depending on the settings of the gentoo Server.
Usually that would be a login window.
If you don't get anything, i assume xdmcp is not enabled on the
gentoo box. Check if a process is listening to udp port 177
(netstat -unlp |grep 177).

So, here is what I get,

d-tuxedo 10:14:06-> su
Password:
d-tuxedo jicman # netstat -unlp |grep 177
d-tuxedo jicman #

so, I guess so, maybe XDMCP is not enabled. But I am able to get into gnome when I am in front of the machine...