Re: xterm

Ronald Fischer wrote:
Cole Radcliffe wrote:
When I try to run "xterm -e /usr/bin/bash -l" from the
cygwin shell I
get an error that says "xterm Xt error: "Can't open
display" "DISPLAY
is not set"

Make sure the X server is running first (run 'startxwin').

This might not sufficient - at least it is not in my system: Even when you start the X server (in my case in multiwindow
mode), but then try to start xterm from a CMD Cygwin shell
(such as from the shell you get when opening the Cygwin
icon which is created by default when you setup Cygwin initially),
you get the above error message.

The trick is that in your startxwin, you have to create at
least one xterm (or rxvt) initially. From this, you can then open others.

I don't know about your copy but te stock startxwin does this already.

216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 429-6305 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746