trapped wm_quit MESSAGE EXITING MAINLOOP

I have reinstalled X apps twice from the mirror at kernel.org. In the last try (which was a partial, essentially enough to support xterm and xemacs), I got warnings about some fonts not available and being ignored. The last few messages from startx were:
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay() returned and successfuly opend the display.
DetecUnicodeSupport - Windows NT;/2000/Xp
inClipboardProc - Disploay=127.0.0.1:0.0
winClipboardProc - XopenDisplay () returned and successfully opend the display.

waiting for X server to shut down winClipboardProc - winClipboardFlushWindowMessageQueue
trapped M_QUIT message, exiting main loop.
winClipboardProc - XdestroyWindow succeeded.

winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

I tried startxwin.bat from earlier posting. It did not help. Does anyone have ideas?
Note this is on a desktop running XP service pack 2. I also tried it on a laptop (also running
XP service pack 2) today with the same results.