Re: xterm "Not Responding" after wakeup from hibernate with Vista

Arnaud Legout <Arnaud.Legout <at> sophia.inria.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I experience the same problem on my laptop with vista 32bit ultimate.
>
> I can start the X server and open xterms. Everything works fine until
> my computer enter in sleep or hibernate mode.
> Then the X-server seems to crash taking 50% of the CPU (on a dual core
> system).
>
> I also figured out that simply closing my laptop (without entering the
> sleep mode) is
> enough to obtain the same problem.
>
>  From what it seems, this problem happens each time the screen flicker.
> For instance, when I come back from the sleep mode, the X-server is still
> functional for a couple of seconds. Then the screen flickers (the same
> way it does when you change
> the resolution of the screen, I imagine that vista is doing some kind of
> screen resolution check)
> and the X-server fails.
>
> In case it is an issue related to the driver of my graphical card, I
> have a nvidia GeForce Go 7400 card
> and the driver version is 7.15.10.9746.
>
> Let me know if you need more information of testing. I cannot fix the
> problem myself, but I can help
> identifying it and testing patches.
>
> Regards,
> Arnaud.
>
> --

Check your nVidia video drivers.

After battling this same problem for the last couple of months, I started
to wonder if this could be a video problem.  My HP has an nVidia GeForce
Go 6150.  I did a Google search on nVidia and Vista, and found several
hits on incompatibilities.  Going back to hp.com to check on driver
updates, I found 2 driver updates for Chipset and Driver with the
explanation:

"Fixes display compatibility issues that may occur when resuming from
Suspend/Hiberation mode."

I installed, and it SEEMS to have fixed the problem.  Granted this is
one time, but it's one more time than I've been successful before this.

Hope this helps...

-Scott