Re: Xterm, rxvt, mrxvt, etc....

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Charles Wilson wrote:

Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Sat, 5 May 2007, Charles Wilson wrote:

The fact is, rxvt upstream is dead, dead, dead. It has shuffled off this mortal coil. Joined the choir invisible. It is an EX-terminal. The terminal is terminal.

thanks for agreeing with me. It has no maintainer.

Not so fast, Thomas. I did not and do not agree with your previous posts: neither of your messages claimed that "upstream rxvt has no maintainer". (If they did, then I would have agreed with that.) Your messages claimed that rxvt had no cygwin maintainer. That claim is false: I am the cygwin maintainer for rxvt.

I don't much care for the role of "cygwin maintainer" in a discussion related to _support_, since you're deliberatly confusing the issue of
putting the file on someone's disk in contrast to making it work.

When I've seen - say - more than 10% of your work in the latter, you'll
have something to argue about.  You're not there.

Don't try to retcon this thread.

that remark reflects poorly on you.

For the casual reader, google suggests that Charles Wilson called me a liar.

Frankly, I prefer rxvt-unicode on X -- even in non-unicode mode -- because

yes (does cygwin finally have unicode support? - no one's mentioned it on this list at all).

No, cygwin does not. Cygwin's rxvt-unicode port has limited unicode support because Thomas Wolff provided me with a patch (to rxvt-unicode) that shims unicode support by intercepting certain X calls.

You're apparently still confused: the terminal emulator can certainly
implement something, but if the applications running in it can't (except as implied, for self-contained locale support), then it's of limited use.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net