Re: Problems with Startx even after rebaseall

* Robert Neville (Sat, 05 May 2007 00:10:50 -0700)
> On Thu, 3 May 2007 00:22:50 +0100, Thorsten Kampe <thorsten@thorstenkampe.de> wrote:
> >> _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> >> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
> >>
> >> Fatal server error:
> >> Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already run
> >> ning
> >> winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress
> >
> >It seems like there is something already listening or blocking the X
> >server...
>

> Do you have any suggestions on a solution?

Actually almost none (I just recently started using Xwinw and I'm
still amazed who easy the setup is and that seemingly everything
"simply works").

> I have no idea why this would occur or how to troubleshoot these scenarios.
>
> The console keeps returning the font error.
>
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from li
> st!
> winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 509 353
> winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
> winProcEstablishConnection - Clipboard is not enabled, returning.
> cat: /home/neville/.Xauthority: No such file or directory
>
> waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/mi
> sc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.
> winDeinitMultiWindowWM - Noting shutdown in progress

You seem to get different errors when starting startx or startxwin.sh
and startxwin.bat. This log shows no reason for shutting down the X
server - the other said there was already one running.

> This link gave me some insight, yet it did not resolve my main problem.
>
>  http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-error-font-eof
>
> Apparently, mount does not list any mount points for /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts on my installation.

Well, neither on mine and there are no mount statements in the
postinstall scripts. I think some years ago there was a mounted font
path but I might be mistaken.

Anyway, check if all the postinstall sripts have been run, and
consider reinstalling X or Cygwin or Windows...

Thorsten